Oh Yum: Golden Roasted Beet and Veggie Salad
Loaded with colorful produce and protein-packed quinoa, this salad packs a punch of goodness. Prep your roasted ingredients and quinoa on your weekly prep day and you can toss this together any time. OR dish it out into containers before Monday to take along with you to work throughout the week. I love the honey mustard dressing from Salty Canary, but you can swap out the honey for a truly vegan dressing.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked to package instructions
- 1.5 cups seedless red grapes, washed
- .5 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 7 golden beets, washed, trimmed, and cut into 1.5 inch slices
- 1.5 cups asparagus, washed, woody stocks trimmed, and cut in half
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/8 cup fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tb fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tb fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tb Dijon mustard
- 2 Tb honey/maple syrup/agave/coconut nectar
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together, and keep refrigerated.
Roast your beets by first trimming and cleaning them, peeling off any gnarly rough skin. Cut into one inch slices and boil for 30 minutes. Drain, toss with a tablespoon of avocado oil and salt and pepper to taste into a 9 x 12 pan, and roast for 1 hour at 400°, stirring them every 20 minutes. They should be soft with a nice roasty finish. Refrigerate for up to a week in a sealed container.
To roast your grapes, set the oven to 400°. Toss washed grapes with a light mist of oil and salt and pepper to taste. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the skins start to split and they begin to release their juices. Refrigerate for up to a week in a sealed container.
To assemble your salad, toss all your ingredients together, add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over your dressing at the time of serving. Enjoy!