Oh Yum: Toasted Tofu and Kale Stir Fry
Toasted Tofu Ingredients:
- 1 block firm tofu (drained, pressed, and cut into 1" cubes)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or Bragg liquid aminos (for those avoiding gluten)
- 1 tbsp arrow root starch
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or use spray oil to reduce this even more, just spray enough to lightly coat)
Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3-4 large kale leaves (ribs removed and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup coconut water (we use Zico brand for their low sugar content and single ingredient)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or Bragg liquid aminos (for those avoiding gluten)
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional for flavor)
- Toasted sesame seeds and green onion for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400° F and drizzle the oil and soy sauce/liquid aminos over the tofu and toss to coat. Sprinkle the arrowroot starch over, and toss till coated and no powder remains visible. Put the tofu onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the tofu halfway through to brown evenly. Remove from oven, and set aside.
Heat your pan or wok to medium-high heat and add your oil, garlic, and ginger. Toss and cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes), add in your carrot, kale, and cabbage along with your coconut water. This will help soften your veggies and steam them while infusing them with flavor. Add your soy sauce/liquid aminos, sesame oil (optional), toasted tofu, and just as your cabbage and kale have softened (about 3-4 minutes) add your bean sprouts and turn off the heat.
Serve with freshly sliced green onion and sesame seeds and enjoy!