Walk it off.
I’ve known for a long time that walking is great for losing weight and keeping your weight under control. Did you know that walking has much broader benefits? It’s not just good for the body, but it’s good for the mind and emotions as well.
If you’ve found yourself sitting more and more, have a look at the list I’ve devised of the benefits of walking. It might just get you up and going…
1. Walking lifts your spirits. People suffering from depression have found improvement and a decrease in symptoms after adopting a daily walking routine.
2. Walking improves your coordination and balance.
3. Studies have shown that regular walking helps to curb cravings for sweets.
4. Walking increases creativity. Do you have writer’s block? Studies show that walking helps you tap into your creativity.
5. Our sedentary lifestyles have caused an increase in diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Walking has been shown to reverse these conditions.
6. People who walk regularly can add several years to their lives.
7. Walking is more inexpensive than joining a gym or health club.
8. People who walk regularly get more benefit from their sleep.
9. As well as helping you get a good night’s sleep, walking also helps to lower stress.
10. Walking helps you stay limber and often reduces chronic pain.
11. Regular walking helps to keep your bones strong and to avoid osteoporosis.
12. Walking eases joint pain.
13. Walking helps keep your eyes healthy and helps those who are at risk for or who have glaucoma. Walking is known to lower the pressure in your eyes.
14. Walking helps prevent many diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and lung diseases.
15. Walking boosts the immune system, helping you fight flu and colds.
16 Walking is fun.
Take a walk today. You'll be glad you did.