Oh Yum: Wheatberry and Sauerkraut Salad
Another protein-packed meal, this wheatberry salad also benefits from the nutritious goodness of sauerkraut which brings lots of good vitamins and healthy bacteria to the dish. We were inspired by Donna Hay's recipe and just made a couple of modifications to suit our needs.
Here's What You'll Need:
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups sauerkraut (we used Organic Saverne Artisanal kraut)
- 1 cup soy beans (in place of the green beans in the original recipe)
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- 1 cup basil leaves
- .5 cup toasted pecans (in place of almonds)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (we used Braggs)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Cook the barley according to package instructions, then add all but the basil and allow it to chill overnight (this lets all the good flavors combine), stir in the basil leaves and serve. Super tasty and super easy. See Donna's original recipe and post here.