Oh Yum: Golden Split Pea Soup with Turmeric
Because we talked about yellow and green fruits and vegetables this week, it's only fitting that our Oh Yum recipe be this beautiful Golden Split Pea Soup. But before we get to that, here's the winner of the book giveaway: Congratulations to .... Janet Cherry. I'll be in touch by email and will get the book off to you.
Split peas boast 11 grams of protein per serving. When you add turmeric to the recipe not only is it an even more delightfully sunny color, it helps to fight inflammation. We found this recipe by umami girl and just had to try it on for size. It was delicious. Super simple, nothing overly fussy, but a perfect solution for those looking for an extra dash of sunshine.
What you'll need:
- 1 pound yellow split peas (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (we used fresh)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- A few good grinds black pepper
- 8-10 cups good vegetable stock or water
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish, optional
Visit the Umami Girl blog for the rest of the recipe and tell us how you liked our recommendation. :)